Skip to Main Content
Get started
Company formation basics

What is the difference between Companies House and HMRC?

If you register a LTD company you will need to file your accounts with HMRC and Companies House. Sole traders file their accounts at HMRC only.

HMRC has a joint filing accounts template for small LTD companies so when you file accounts they will also file at Companies House.

All information filed at Companies House is in the public domain which means anyone can view this information. Information filed at HMRC is not in the public domain and therefore private.

All details required to set up and run your LTD company need to be filed at Companies House. This includes directors and shareholders date of birth and address information. You can use registered office addresses and service addresses to keep this information private.

Other Company formation basics FAQs