Skip to Main Content
Customer Login
0117 950 2667
My Basket, 0 items

Your basket is empty

Register a Partnership

Limited Liability Partnerships are popular company types for professional industries such as accountancy and legal firms. To start your LLP, search for your company name in the box below.

Forming an LLP

Limited Liability Partnerships are very similar to Limited Companies in that they both offer limited liability to their company's members. However, there are two very important differences:

  • a limited liability partnership (LLP) is taxed as a partnership, and can be organised with more flexibility
  • LLPs don't have directors or shareholders, but can have as many members as you choose. Members should be formally appointed at the point of formation, or by the other members at a later date

LLPs are designed for professions that have traditionally insisted on a partnership format such as lawyers and doctors. For most normal trading businesses a standard Limited Company is usually preferable.

If you're not certain what company structure is right for you and your business, give the experts at Duport a ring to talk through your options.

What do you get?

Duport's experienced team can help you with your LLP formation, providing you advice on the best options for you. When you form your LLP with Duport, you receive:

  • Company Number
  • Incorporation certificate
  • Your partnership agreement on CD
  • All the phone and email support you need to guide you, now or in the future

Your Partnership Company

Partnerships are usually the choice for groups of professionals such as Lawyers or Accountants, and we always advise you speak to an expert to make sure it's the right structure for your company.

limited companies image



including government fees and delivery

limited companies image

Process time

Companies House typically take 6-8 working hours to register an LLP

Important Notes

  • It is highly recommended that you take specialist advice before registering a limited liability partnership, so feel free to give the Duport team a call to talk about your options
  • Make sure you wait for confirmation of your company number before assuming ownership of the company name. You cannot start using your chosen LLP name until your formation had been confirmed and you have received your company number

Frequently Asked Questions

Want to find out more about forming your company with Duport? Have a look through our frequently asked questions to find out more about how to form your company.

Directors are the people who have responsibility for the legal operation of the company. If a company defaults on its legal obligations it is the directors who are held responsible on the company's behalf. This means that it is every director's personal responsibility to ensure that all necessary documents are delivered to Companies House as required under the Company's Act.

Directors also determine company policy and who must sign for any changes to the company's constitution. In a private limited company, Directors can decide who may own shares in the company.

Read more

Most people require a standard limited company which is suitable for nearly all types of trading. However, if you are a not for profit, a sole trader or a charity, then we can offer you a different service.

Limited Companies

your company name will be registered and protected at Companies House. The company will be recognised as an independent (of you) body in which people can own a percentage (hold shares) and be employed by. You are protected from the liabilities of the company as it is independent of you.

Sole Traders

Sole trading is popular with people who are the business and want total control and unlimited responsibility for their own business and its debts.

Because you don't have shareholders or other company directors, do not have to keep Companies House informed of your company details. However, you are still liable for taxation, so you must complete self-assessment tax return annually and register with HM Revenue & Customs within 3 months of starting your business.

Because you are not a limited company, you are personally liable for all your company's debts. Remember, should your company become insolvent your personal assets (such as your house) will NOT be protected.

Your company name is also not secured at Companies House. This means that another individual may register the trading name you are using.

Read more

When you've decided that you want to form a company through Duport, we will take you through the formation process to make sure everything is organised properly.

step one

You need to decide which type of company you want before you begin your formation. A standard LTD company is the most popular choice for our customers, suitable for almost all types of trading. If you are unclear, it is worth seeking the advice of a good accountant.

step two

You need to pick a name for your new company! Use our company name check tool to make sure your company name is available, and read through our sensitive names and choose a company name guides for more information.

Read more

Some words are not allowed in company names and some words may only be used subject to special criteria or permission. Companies House regulates the use of all sensitive words and your company will not be registered if the criteria are not met. For example, you can't use the word "charity" without the permission of the Charity Commission.

The following is a list of the most common types of sensitive words. You may want to check through for any name you were considering. This information is taken directly from Companies House. Duport also maintains a constantly updated internal database of 'sensitive words' and the changing criteria that must be met to allow use of these words. If you need help on this matter, call our team on (0117) 330 8910. Please note that we are unable to check company names against all trademark registrations.

Read more

If your company turnover exceeds the VAT registration threshold, you must register. However, you are allowed to make an optional application for VAT registration before you reach that level in order to claim back the VAT paid on your purchases.

We suggest that you visit your local office of HM Revenue & Customs and obtain their booklets and forms. Alternatively, you can visit their website at

If you are not resident in the UK but wish to have a UK registration for VAT you will need to appoint a 'tax agent' to deal with HMRC on your behalf. It is normal to appoint a qualified accountant for this purpose. If you do not have a UK based accountant, Duport will be able to put you in touch with a suitably qualified firm.

Read more

Company secretaries are responsible to the directors and are usually responsible for filling in the paperwork associated with confirmation statements.

There is no longer a legal requirement to appoint a company secretary, however companies with only one director will often require a second signature on legal documentation (for example when you open a bank account). If you do not appoint a company secretary this documentation will need to be signed by an appointed witness and many companies are still opting to appoint a company secretary.

Read more

Need some help?

If you need some help with your order, or can't find the answer to your question in our FAQs, you can always give us a call or drop us an email.