Sole Trader Registration
Protect your company name and get set up with everything you need for your business, including HMRC registration in just a few hours. Just search to find your perfect company name.
Protecting your company name
Get everything you need to start up as a Sole Trader with the option to protect your company name at Companies House. Protecting your company name with Duport means that it can't be registered by another business. We do all the paperwork and your details remain private.
- Secure payment
- 5 mins to complete
- 1-4 hours to approve
What do you get?
- Registration within a few hours, via our direct link with HMRC saving you weeks of time and admin.
- Your vital UTR number (unique taxpayers reference) posted to your address
- In-depth guide to operating as a sole trader
- Name protection at Companies House (if required)
- Contract for full rights to your chosen company name (if required)
- Filing notifications that ensure that you won't miss any deadlines
- Monthly tax updates that keep you legally compliant and ensure you get more of your earnings
- A Fast Track Barclays business bank account
- Accounting for sole trader information
- VAT and Payroll services for an additional charge
What does it cost
It costs as little as £29.99 to start up as a Sole Trader or £49.99 if you'd like to add name protection at Companies House.
Pricing & Payment
- Company name protection at Companies House, will ensure the name is always available for future trading use, preventing anyone trading under your name and give a professional impression to anyone researching your company.
How can you pay
- We take all standard forms of card payment, or if you prefer you can call our helpful team to pay by phone
- You can register free of charge directly with HMRC however you will need to apply for an account which can take 7 - 10 days
- Companies House only process Limited company requests Monday to Friday 9-5, but you can submit your application through this site any time
- HMRC only process registrations Monday to Friday 9-5, but you can submit your application through this site any time
- UTR numbers are posted directly to your address usually in 3 - 4 weeks but it can take longer (up to 8) depending on how busy they are
Company Name protection
- Duport only protect company names in England and Wales
- All company name protections are made at Companies House Cardiff
- You should not assume your company name has been approved until you receive your official confirmation from Duport
- This service is renewable annually should you wish us to continue filing the dormant accounts and Confirmation Statement
- If you allow your registration to expire, or do not notify Duport of your intention to renew your protection period, you will no longer have exclusive rights to this company name
- You can contact Duport to upgrade your protected company name to use as your Limited Company at any time. An upgrade fee applies.
- This service is not appropriate to users who intend to use this company name as a charity or limited by guarantee company. In this instance please contact a member of staff to discuss your options
- We recommend you view the terms and conditions related to this product
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to find out more about forming your company with Duport? Have a look through our frequently asked questions to find out more about how to form your company.
Directors are the people who have responsibility for the legal operation of the company. If a company defaults on its legal obligations it is the directors who are held responsible on the company's behalf. This means that it is every director's personal responsibility to ensure that all necessary documents are delivered to Companies House as required under the Company's Act.
Directors also determine company policy and who must sign for any changes to the company's constitution. In a private limited company, Directors can decide who may own shares in the company.
Most people require a standard limited company which is suitable for nearly all types of trading. However, if you are a not for profit, a sole trader or a charity, then we can offer you a different service.
your company name will be registered and protected at Companies House. The company will be recognised as an independent (of you) body in which people can own a percentage (hold shares) and be employed by. You are protected from the liabilities of the company as it is independent of you.
Sole trading is popular with people who are the business and want total control and unlimited responsibility for their own business and its debts.
Because you don't have shareholders or other company directors, do not have to keep Companies House informed of your company details. However, you are still liable for taxation, so you must complete self-assessment tax return annually and register with HM Revenue & Customs within 3 months of starting your business.
Because you are not a limited company, you are personally liable for all your company's debts. Remember, should your company become insolvent your personal assets (such as your house) will NOT be protected.
Your company name is also not secured at Companies House. This means that another individual may register the trading name you are using.
When you've decided that you want to form a company through Duport, we will take you through the formation process to make sure everything is organised properly.
You need to decide which type of company you want before you begin your formation. A standard LTD company is the most popular choice for our customers, suitable for almost all types of trading. If you are unclear, it is worth seeking the advice of a good accountant.
You need to pick a name for your new company! Use our company name check tool to make sure your company name is available, and read through our sensitive names and choose a company name guides for more information.
Some words are not allowed in company names and some words may only be used subject to special criteria or permission. Companies House regulates the use of all sensitive words and your company will not be registered if the criteria are not met. For example, you can't use the word "charity" without the permission of the Charity Commission.
The following is a list of the most common types of sensitive words. You may want to check through for any name you were considering. This information is taken directly from Companies House. Duport also maintains a constantly updated internal database of 'sensitive words' and the changing criteria that must be met to allow use of these words. If you need help on this matter, call our team on (0117) 330 8910. Please note that we are unable to check company names against all trademark registrations.
If your company turnover exceeds the VAT registration threshold, you must register. However, you are allowed to make an optional application for VAT registration before you reach that level in order to claim back the VAT paid on your purchases.
We suggest that you visit your local office of HM Revenue & Customs and obtain their booklets and forms. Alternatively, you can visit their website at www.hmrc.gov.uk
If you are not resident in the UK but wish to have a UK registration for VAT you will need to appoint a 'tax agent' to deal with HMRC on your behalf. It is normal to appoint a qualified accountant for this purpose. If you do not have a UK based accountant, Duport will be able to put you in touch with a suitably qualified firm.
Company secretaries are responsible to the directors and are usually responsible for filling in the paperwork associated with confirmation statements.
There is no longer a legal requirement to appoint a company secretary, however companies with only one director will often require a second signature on legal documentation (for example when you open a bank account). If you do not appoint a company secretary this documentation will need to be signed by an appointed witness and many companies are still opting to appoint a company secretary.
Need some help?
If you need some help with your formation, or can’t find the answer to your question in our FAQs, you can always give us a call or drop us an email.