Skip to Main Content

Advice about COVID-19

COVID-19 Advice for Small Businesses and the Self-Employed. Read More

Customer Login
0117 950 2667
My Basket, 0 items

Your basket is empty

Register a Non-Profit

Most Non-Profit companies are Companies Limited By Guarantee, this means that any profits you generate are put back into the business. Find the perfect name for your non-profit company by searching now.

Limited By Guarantee Companies

Companies Limited by Guarantee are very similar to charities, but whereas a Charity puts funds towards a charitable aim or objective, Companies Limited by Guarantee usually put their profits back into the business in order to achieve their aims.

This company type is very popular with sports clubs and community organisations, providing them with a company structure that doesn't require registration with an external regulation, but ensuring all profits are kept within the organisation.

What do you get?

When you form a Non-Profit Company with Duport, we can help you decide what company structure is right for you, as well as providing:

  • Company Number
  • Incorporation certificate
  • Memorandum and Articles of association (the documents that define how your company legally works)
  • All the phone and email support you need to guide you, now or in the future

Forming your Non-Profit Company

Find out all the important facts about forming a Company Limited by Guarantee, or contact our expert team for more in-depth advice.

limited companies image



including government fees and delivery

limited companies image

Process time

Companies House typically take 6-8 working hours to register your Non-Profit

Important Notes

If you are starting up a social interest, sporting or community organisation, a Company Limited by Guarantee might be the perfect structure, but if you need any advice about what type of formation is right for you, give our friendly team a ring on 0117 950 2667, and we'll be happy to guide you through the whole process, including helping set out your Objectives and Aims.

When you register a Company Limited by Guarantee, you must:

  • Provide the objects (aims) of your organisation (our expert team can help with this)
  • State what will be done with any excess earnings
  • Have a minimum of 1 trustee (director)
  • Have a registered office in the UK (you can use the Duport service if you prefer)
  • If you opt to upgrade and use our address services these will be renewable annually for £59.99. It is not compulsory to renew.

Frequently Asked Questions

Want to find out more about forming your company with Duport? Have a look through our frequently asked questions to find out more about how to form your company.

Directors are the people who have responsibility for the legal operation of the company. If a company defaults on its legal obligations it is the directors who are held responsible on the company's behalf. This means that it is every director's personal responsibility to ensure that all necessary documents are delivered to Companies House as required under the Company's Act.

Directors also determine company policy and who must sign for any changes to the company's constitution. In a private limited company, Directors can decide who may own shares in the company.

Read more

Most people require a standard limited company which is suitable for nearly all types of trading. However, if you are a not for profit, a sole trader or a charity, then we can offer you a different service.

Limited Companies

your company name will be registered and protected at Companies House. The company will be recognised as an independent (of you) body in which people can own a percentage (hold shares) and be employed by. You are protected from the liabilities of the company as it is independent of you.

Sole Traders

Sole trading is popular with people who are the business and want total control and unlimited responsibility for their own business and its debts.

Because you don't have shareholders or other company directors, do not have to keep Companies House informed of your company details. However, you are still liable for taxation, so you must complete self-assessment tax return annually and register with HM Revenue & Customs within 3 months of starting your business.

Because you are not a limited company, you are personally liable for all your company's debts. Remember, should your company become insolvent your personal assets (such as your house) will NOT be protected.

Your company name is also not secured at Companies House. This means that another individual may register the trading name you are using.

Read more

When you've decided that you want to form a company through Duport, we will take you through the formation process to make sure everything is organised properly.

step one

You need to decide which type of company you want before you begin your formation. A standard LTD company is the most popular choice for our customers, suitable for almost all types of trading. If you are unclear, it is worth seeking the advice of a good accountant.

step two

You need to pick a name for your new company! Use our company name check tool to make sure your company name is available, and read through our sensitive names and choose a company name guides for more information.

Read more

Some words are not allowed in company names and some words may only be used subject to special criteria or permission. Companies House regulates the use of all sensitive words and your company will not be registered if the criteria are not met. For example, you can't use the word "charity" without the permission of the Charity Commission.

The following is a list of the most common types of sensitive words. You may want to check through for any name you were considering. This information is taken directly from Companies House. Duport also maintains a constantly updated internal database of 'sensitive words' and the changing criteria that must be met to allow use of these words. If you need help on this matter, call our team on (0117) 330 8910. Please note that we are unable to check company names against all trademark registrations.

Read more

If your company turnover exceeds the VAT registration threshold, you must register. However, you are allowed to make an optional application for VAT registration before you reach that level in order to claim back the VAT paid on your purchases.

We suggest that you visit your local office of HM Revenue & Customs and obtain their booklets and forms. Alternatively, you can visit their website at

If you are not resident in the UK but wish to have a UK registration for VAT you will need to appoint a 'tax agent' to deal with HMRC on your behalf. It is normal to appoint a qualified accountant for this purpose. If you do not have a UK based accountant, Duport will be able to put you in touch with a suitably qualified firm.

Read more

Company secretaries are responsible to the directors and are usually responsible for filling in the paperwork associated with confirmation statements.

There is no longer a legal requirement to appoint a company secretary, however companies with only one director will often require a second signature on legal documentation (for example when you open a bank account). If you do not appoint a company secretary this documentation will need to be signed by an appointed witness and many companies are still opting to appoint a company secretary.

Read more

Need some help?

If you need some help with your order, or can't find the answer to your question in our FAQs, you can always give us a call or drop us an email.