Skip to Main Content
    1. 1
      Package selection
    2. 2
      Company Name
    3. 3
      Additional Services
    4. 4
    5. 5
      Account Details
  • Register as a Sole Trader

    Choose the basic Sole Trader package to get all the essential services to register your new business, or upgrade to protect your company name at Companies House.

    Our Sole Trader Package includes:

    Register as a Sole Trader

    • HMRC Registration
    • UTR Number
    • Industry Insights Guide
    Package total £35.99

    Upgrade your package & protect your Company Name

    • HMRC Registration
    • UTR Number
    • Industry Insights Guide
    Package total £59.99
    • Protect your name so others can't register it as an LTD Company
    • We'll register your name with Companies House
    • Upgrade easily to LTD company at any time (fee required)

    Included with your order Industry Insights Guide

    Find out detailed info on your specific sector:

    • What your start up costs will be
    • How much to charge per hour
    • What business insurance you need
    • How to promote your business

    Also included: Dedicated business account

    Keep your business finances in order with a dedicated business account that includes an easy setup, low fees and offers loyalty rewards or cashback too.

    • Easy application
    • Low fees and flexible pricing
    • Loyalty rewards or cashback

    Popular FAQs

    Still have questions? Here are the answers to some of the most common questions people ask about Sole Traders

    If you are the only person running your business, you are happy to be personally responsible for your business debts and liability and you don’t want the hassle of extra paperwork and regulations then this could be the best choice for you.

    There are no age restrictions for Sole Traders, but if you have previously been declared bankrupt you may need to get permission from the courts to set up your business.

    To register your Sole Trader business you will need to provide the following details:

    • Your full name
    • Your current address
    • Your National Insurance Number
    • Your date of birth
    • Your phone number
    • Your email address
    • The date that your self-employment began
    • The type of business you're starting
    • The address of your business
    • The phone number for your business

    You will not need to provide any proof of ID.

    Sole Traders don’t need to have a separate bank account, as your business earnings are considered your own personal income.

    However, things can quickly get complicated if you’re running your personal and business finances from the same account, so we highly recommend setting up a separate account for the business.

    If you register with Duport, you can get a free business account as part of the process.

    Sole Traders have a lot less paperwork to complete than Limited Companies, but you will need to complete your Self Assessment Tax Return each year.

    If you don’t want the hassle of doing your own bookkeeping and accounts, Duport can handle it all for you with our Sole Trader Tax Return service.

    When you register as a Sole Trader, you don’t automatically get any protection for their business name.

    However, Duport have a Protected Name package for Sole Traders that means your business name is also registered at Companies House, to prevent anyone else trading under it.

    Yes, you do not need to be in the UK in order to register as a Sole Trader.

    You can cancel your order at any point. Refunds will only be issued if you have not accessed any of your purchased services.

    Your right to a refund is waived if:

    • Your registration has been submitted to HMRC
    • OR
    • You have requested or viewed any digital ebooks or reports included in your purchase

    Your initial registration is a one-off service. However your package may include services that do need to be renewed annually. These can include:

    • Business name protection
    • Domain & hosting services
    • Accountancy services

    Your Unique Taxpayer Reference or UTR is the number that HMRC uses to identify you as a self-employed person. It’s what you will need to use to submit your Self Assessment Tax Return.

    Become a Sole Trader if:

    • You're the sole proprietor of the business
    • Don't need to sell a share of the business now or in the future
    • Are happy to assume personal responsibility for the debts and liabilities of the business
    • Want as little company administration as possible

    Need some help?

    If you need a little advice on the best options for you, or have a question that's not in our FAQ, Duport's expert team are here to help. Give us a call during office hours or email us any time and we'll help you out.