health & safety

how to register for health & safety

If you are a new business employing people you must register with either the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) or your local authority, depending on your type of business. Shops and offices for example have to register with the local authority, whereas factories, workshops, building sites and others have to register with HSE. There are also special cases which have to register with both (e.g. undertakers!)

On the registration form you will need to give:

  • the name of occupier
  • address of premises
  • registered office
  • nature of work to be carried out
  • whether electric, steam, gas or oil power is to e used for any purpose other than heating, ventilation or lighting
  • name of council in which the premises is situated
  • whether you intend to occupy, or are already occupying the premises
  • your name, address and phone number

After a copy is sent to the fire authority in your area you will be asked:

  • Date on which you will begin to employ people at the premises or whether you are already doing so
  • The name of the occupier, and the trading name
  • The address and phone number of the premises
  • Nature of your business
  • Number of people you are employing how many male/female
  • How many people employed on floors other than ground floor or in separate building
  • Whether you rent or own the premises
  • Name and address of the landlord if you rent the premises

Send the form back to your local HSE or local authority. You will be contacted and have to give more details and assessed to determine what further health or safety information or advice you need and whether you will be visited. It may take a while before you get a visit and it may be from a health and safety awareness officer, or a health and safety inspector.


popular pages


  • 0117 950 2667
  • 2nd Floor
    5 High St
    Westbury on Trym
    BS9 3BY