Skip to Main Content

Advice about COVID-19

COVID-19 Advice for Small Businesses and the Self-Employed. Read More

Customer Login
0117 950 2667
My Basket, 0 items

Your basket is empty


How do you register as a sole trader?

This guide covers the registration requirements of sole traders.

You must notify HRMC

  • If you intend to trade as a sole trader you must notify HMRC
  • You are registering as self employed and each year you must complete a self assessment tax return
  • You must notify HMRC within 3 months or face a fine

protecting your brand

  • If you are planning to "trade as" it is highly advisable that you register your company (as dormant) with Companies House
  • This ensures your company name will be available to you if you decide to incorporate in the future
  • Once a company name is taken at Companies House, it may not be registered by anybody else. This includes names that are deemed "too similar"