how do you register as a sole trader?

This guide covers the registration requirements of sole traders.

You must notify HRMC
  • If you intend to trade as a sole trader you must notify HMRC
  • You are registering as self employed and each year you must complete a self assessment tax return
  • You must notify HMRC within 3 months or face a fine
I didn't know you had to notify HMRC
protecting your brand
  • If you are planning to "trade as" it is highly advisable that you register your company (as dormant) with Companies House
  • This ensures your company name will be available to you if you decide to incorporate in the future
  • Once a company name is taken at Companies House, it may not be registered by anybody else. This includes names that are deemed "too similar"
Brand protection is essential to me


popular pages


  • 0117 950 2667
  • 2nd Floor
    5 High St
    Westbury on Trym
    BS9 3BY