health & safety
simple health & safety checklist
There are a number of key things you must do to comply with health and safety regulations. Use the checklist below to ensure you understand your main responsibilities.
- Decide what could cause harm to people and how to take precautions. This is your risk assessment. You can find ready-made risk assessment forms and a health and safety policy on the Health and Safety Executive website, www.hse.gov.uk.
- Decide what could cause harm to people and how to take precautions. This is your risk assessment.
- Decide how you are going to manage health and safety in your business. If you have 5 or more employees you need to write this down. This is your health and safety policy.
- If you employ anyone you need Employers Liability Compulsory Insurance and you must display the certificate in your workplace.
- You must provide free health and safety training for your workers so they know what hazards and risks they may face and how to deal with them.
- You must have competent advice to help you meet your health and safety duties. This can be workers from your business, external consultants/advisers or a combination of both.
- You need to provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water for all your employees, including those with disabilities.
- You must consult employees on health and safety matters.
- If you have employees you must display the health and safety law poster or provide workers with a leaflet with the same information.
- If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, by law you must report some work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.
- If you are a new business you will need to register either with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or your Local Authority - depending on the sort of business you have.